Followup to DVD Burning question

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 01:22:14 PDT 2005

--- Tim Aslat <tim at spyderweb.com.au> wrote:
> I asked recently about burning a DVD disk under FreeBSD,
> and received several replies.  However I don't think I
> explained myself clearly enough.
>
> [...]
>
> Something like
> cat /dev/cxm0 | growisofs -Z -
> would be ideal, but I don't know if or how well it would work.

That's how I do backups with a DVD-RW:
  tar cf - ... | dd of=/dev/acd0 obs=32k conv=osync

Unluckily my DVD-RW's cannot be used for UFS with my burner... I
do not know why.

But I would like to point out, that somebody here mentioned, that
UDF might work...

But my dd-proceeding works fine... If you want you can compare the
output of dd (output blocks should be similar to 143618) or check
its error code or look for unusaly output...

Bye
Arne