DVD burning question

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Apr 8 04:21:27 PDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:08:04 +0930
Tim Aslat <tim at spyderweb.com.au> wrote:

> I'm thinking that I might be able to pipe the stream straight to the
> recording process, but I'm worried about "buffer underrun" errors
> causing problems with this.

	Piping into growisofs should work if the data is generated at
least as fast as the minimum supported burn speed of the drive. If the
rate varies too much then piping it through buffer (in the ports) should
smooth things out nicely (the original use of buffer was to keep QIC02
tape drives streaming on backups). If the data rate is too slow on
average for the burn process then you will need to spool it through
a disc buffer.

	I'm pretty sure that making a DVD-Video compliant disc on the
fly is not going to work - if you do find a way then please post details.