DVD burning question

Tim Aslat tim at spyderweb.com.au
Thu Apr 7 22:37:52 PDT 2005

In the immortal words of Jacob Meuser <jakemsr at jakemsr.com>...

> I'm not aware of anything that can create DVD file systems on the fly.

Neither am I, that's why I stated that I wasn't sure it was possible,
I'm hoping it is but need to know for sure.

> I'm pretty sure you have to know the VOB sizes to make the IFOs.

That's for DVD-video compatible disks

> But maybe you weren't really making DVDs, just using DVD media for
> more space on a disk?

Nope, just an MPEG stream to the disk.  No VOB's, no encoding, just the
straight captured file.

I'm thinking that I might be able to pipe the stream straight to the
recording process, but I'm worried about "buffer underrun" errors
causing problems with this.

The burning time at the end of a recording session was an issue with the
people I'm developing it for, and I'm looking into ways of getting
around it.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to capture/encode DVD-Video via a pipe and
record directly to DVD-Video which can then be played back in a
standalone DVD player, but that's for the future, at this stage playback
on a PC is acceptable.  For now, I'll be satisfied with dumping the raw
capture to the DVD-disk.

Regards

Tim

--