Audio on 5.3-BETAX

Ben H. strbenjr at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 08:59:35 PDT 2004

Next question...

I found an old article that referenced some changes to the
KERNEL for using the system as an AUDIO workstation.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/09/05/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=3

====
  Next, I'll create a custom kernel that supports Java and
sound:

  cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
  cp GENERIC MULTIMEDIA
  I'll then add the following lines to MULTIMEDIA:

  options     USER_LDT         #used by java
  options     CPU_ENABLE_SSE   #used by DVD
  device      pcm              #builds PCI soundblaster
support
====

I know the pcm line is not a necessary change in 5.3

Do the other changes apply to 5.3 =or=
Can anyone suggest changes that might improve performance
as an AUDIO workstation???

  ecawave - will not compile from the ports for
            me on 53beta3. I will try beta4 by
            end of week.

  Audacity - will compile but is giving varing
             problems when I use it.  If it doesn't
             like something it will cause FreeBSD
             to reboot.  (Audacity 5.2.1)

Ben