Audacity port on 5.3-BETA3

Ben H. strbenjr at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 19:13:38 PDT 2004

Here is some additional info on my machine.

strben at myserver$ uname -a
 FreeBSD myserver 5.3-BETA3 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA3 #0:
 Thu Sep  9 07:23:46 EDT 2004
 strben at myserver:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/BENS53  i386
strben at myserver$

--- Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock at gmx.net> wrote:
> Ben H. wrote:
>
> > The listed device in the properties of Audacity is
> > something called: /dev/dsp
> >
> > I am suspecting this is wrong because my sound card is:
> > /dev/pcm0 or /dev/csa (it is using crystal card chip
> set)
>
> /dev/dsp is correct.
>
> Do 'cat /dev/sndstat' to learn what devices
> your sounddriver provides.

 strben at myserver$ cat /dev/sndstat
 FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
 Installed devices:
 pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> at irq 5 kld snd_csa (1p/1r/0v
channels duplex default)
 strben at myserver$

I don't see where /dev/dsp comes into play.  Can you
elaborate please?

> If you can't
> record anything, make sure you have selected
> the correct line-in as the record source in
> your favourite mixer application and also
> make sure that you have the record-gain
> mixer turned up (usually called 'rec').

I was able to record from the output of my CD player so
thanks for your help.  I will try Line in as soon as I can
get some ... "line in".  (record-gain was it I believe!)

I really appreciate your hints and suggestions!!!!!

Ben

=====
Ben Hacker, Jr.
 Sr. Security Analyst