transport sound across a network

wijs wijs at quicknet.nl
Thu Oct 28 05:19:53 PDT 2004

Hi there,

What is the sound demon for transfering sound over tcp/ip?
I'm quite new in FreeBSD.
I tried it with ESD:

On my desktop computer I forwarded my sound from my FreeBSD with the
command:
esdplay -s 10.10.10.20 wned.wav
Where 10.10.10.20 is my windows machine and wned.wav is a wav file. Then
I listened on my desktop pc with the command:
esd -promiscuous -tcp -public
It worked, I heard the sound. Then I wanted to forward sound from other
programs. I did this wtih esddsp. I used the command:
esddsp -s 10.10.10.20 mpg123 *.mp3

I have got the  error : bus error

bash-2.05b$ esddsp -v -s 10.10.10.20 -m mpg123 U2_walk_on.mp3
server:         10.10.10.20
name:           mpg123
command line:   mpg123 U2_walk_on.mp3
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Bus error

It didn't work and nobody replied to my email.
Does anyone now another sound driver who can do the trick?

Thanks Koen