VCD (DivX) to DVD

Achilleus Mantzios achill at matrix.gatewaynet.com
Wed Nov 24 04:06:26 PST 2004

O Phil Brennan έγραψε στις Nov 24, 2004 :

> Try not to confuse VCD with Divx. VCD=mpeg1,DVD=mpeg2,divx=mpeg4 ( roughly )

The way i managed to see the movie with mplayer was

mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/acd1 vcd://

and the way to rip the movie was:

mencoder -cdrom-device /dev/acd1 vcd:// -o \\
/usr/local/misc/MIKE_MOORE/MM.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts \\
vcodec=mpeg4

# file /usr/local/misc/MIKE_MOORE/MM.avi
/usr/local/misc/MIKE_MOORE/MM.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 352 x
288, 25.00 fps, video: DivX 4, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (stereo, 44100 Hz)

Thats how far i went.

The vcd:// part of the mplayer "url" maybe made me think VCD has something
to do with DivX.

I'll have the CD at work in Friday, and maybe i can give you more info/
read some mplayer docs and have a result.

Thanx.

> If you have a divx, you should be able re-encode it as mpeg2 with
> mencoder (part of mplayer). So, you need to start reading up the
> documentation for mplayer/mencoder. There are manpages, and entire
> folder of docs. Then search the web for howtos if thats not enough.
> Hope this helps a little bit.
>

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:37:01 +0200 (EET), Achilleus Mantzios
> <achill at matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > i am FreeBSD 5.3* workstation/server user/admin and now i need
> > to do some multimedia as well.
> >
> > The problem:
> > I own some VCDs (DivX) (the ones that newspapers give away), which
> > my funai DVD player at home should easily play.
> > This is not the case unfortunately.
> > My funai dont play any VCDs.
> > So my problem is kinda unusual:
> >
> > I want to convert these VCDs to DVDs.
> >
> > I have played with mplayer, dvdauthor, etc...
> > but the set of standards governing multimedia DivX, VCD, DVD, MPEGx,etc..
> > sound a little chinese to me.
> >
> > I have managed to view the movies on my FreeBSD 5.3-BETA2, with
> > mplayer-gtk-esound-0.99.5_2, but didnt know what to do next.
> >
> > I would be a greatful (and even more happy) FreeBSD user, if somebody
> > could
> > give a direction on how to accomplish this task.
> >
> > Unfortunatelly, i try all the above as a "break" from my ordinary job,
> > which leaves few possibilities for extented reserach.
> >
> > Thanx.
> >
> > --
> > -Achilleus

-Achilleus