MIDI using external synth via serial port

Mathew Kanner mat at cnd.mcgill.ca
Tue May 11 08:13:39 PDT 2004

On May 08, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> I've been wanting to try this, but before I do, I just wanted to check
> something.
>
> To do MIDI using an external synth connected via a serial port, is anything
> else required in the kernel config besides "device midi" and the hints in
> /boot/device.hints?  Is the sequencer device also required (or even supported)?
>
> Also, any recommendations re: a good sequencer app?

	Hello Conrad,
	Sorry it took so long to respond to your question.  I'm
supposed to be working on the FreeBSD midi project but a new job and
spring fever (and work on usb audio) has distracted me.  My mentor
intends to write a serial pass-through once I get around to commiting
the midi driver.
	I would like to ask why you want to use a serial port?  My
understanding of the situaion is that serial ports have to be hacked
to get the timming right for midi and most soundcards have midi ports
(via the gameport).
	You can find patches posted for my midi work.
	I hope you stick around until we complete midi :)

	--Mat

ps. Anthem is a cool midi app.
--
	It's impossible to awaken a man who is pretending to be
	asleep.