Sound recording and producing CDs

Jim Durham durham at jcdurham.com
Sat Mar 27 21:13:39 PST 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 08:52 am, Ben H. wrote:
> I am new at this sound stuff...
>
> Please confirm or suggest... Thanks!!
>
> I have a need to regularly record a public program and be
> able to produce a copy of the program in CD format.
>
> It is currently being done via tape.
>
> I wanted to setup a FreeBSD system to record sound input
> and have the ability to:
>
>    Edit   - important
>    CDBurn - very important
>    Teach a non-tech person to run the working system.
> (gui)
>
> the recorded sound in a format that can be played back on
> a car or home CD player.
>
> Does the following software work or...:
>
>  Audio recording to HD:
>  http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/welcome.html
>
>  CD Recording (DAO):
>  http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/index.html
>
>  Audio & MIDI Sequ.:
>  http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/index.html

I  cast my vote for Audacity. I use it all the time for recording a live band
and then editing the recording and saving it in .wav format. Then I use
burncd to burn the CD. These are both available in ports. Audacity is very
powerful and quite intuitive to use.

You didn't say if this was to be set up as a timed recording at a certain
time? If so, you might want a command-line style recorder that can be started
from cron. I have one here that I helped write that I could send you the
source for, or there is one in /usr/ports/audio that will work, but I forget
the name...readthe descriptions in /usr/ports/audio/* .

I  hesitate to comment on Rosegarden. I haven't used it in a long time.
It worked. It was a little rough. It may be much better now.

-Jim