mplayer cache problems, I think it's cross-platform

Jason Andresen jandrese at mitre.org
Wed Mar 24 06:40:21 PST 2004

Paul Seniura wrote:

> Hi y'all,
>

> Finally getting caught up on CTM ports-cur deltas on
> this Puny Pentium2.  ;)
>
> The recent update for mplayer is having problems.
> I must specify '-nocache' for anything to work.
> Or 'nocache=yes' in the ~/.mplayer/config file.
>
> Any cache size at all >= 4 will cause mplayer to hang
> with it not filling the cache (verbose showing):
>
>   CACHE_PRE_INIT: 0 [0] 0  pre:0  eof:0
>   Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
>
> I can hit Esc or q to get out of this hang in a
> 'normal' manner.
> A cancel will show:
>
>   MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: enable_cache
>
> I compiled & installed mplayer both with RTC support
> and without, via /etc/make.conf .  No difference.
>
> The kernel & world are at the current CTM src-cur delta
> levels, too (including last night's buckets CST).
>
> I am using the KDE .wav files for testing.  With nocache
> in effect, it works, both RTC and nonRTC compiled modes.
> The 'play' cmd from another port works fine, too.
>
> Of course the GUIs based on mplayer are all hanging at
> this same spot, too.  I don't know if they are
> specifying cache size internally.
>
> I haven't seen anyone mention this problem yet here.
> But it seems at least another person on another platform is
> having similar problems: I saw a freshly-posted msg on
> mplayerhq's dev list:
> <http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2004-March/thread.html>
>
> The top part of mplayer's cmd-line mode displays:
>
>   MPlayer 0.92-3.3.3  (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team
>   CPU: Intel Celeron Covington/Pentium II Deschutes,Tonga/Pentium II Xeon (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
>   Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
>   CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 0 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
>   Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX
>
> I'm not a member at the mplayer HQ.  I'm wondering how to
> go about saying "me too" to their site.  Assuming other
> FBSDers can reproduce this problem, can our maintainer
> Or should I open a FBSD PR and let it go thru channels?

FYI, the cache works for me.

MPlayer 0.92-3.3.3  (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon 4 PM Palomino/Athlon MP
Multiprocessor/Athlon XP eXtreme Performance (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE

   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese at mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer
_|  _|___|  _| _|_\___| Office: 703-883-7755