Questions about Hauppauge WinTV 350

Wilkinson, Alex alex.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Jun 23 06:11:20 GMT 2004

	On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 12:56:26PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

	A number of software products use the Hauppauge WinTV 350 "Personal
	Video Recorder" (what a stupid name!).  I've been planning to get one
	for some time, but here in Australia the prices are ridiculous (more
	than double what they are nearly anywhere else).  So I've decided to
	have one sent from overseas.

	Question: are all WinTV 350s the same?  In Australia we have the same
	standards as in most of Europe (PAL, not NTSC), and the tuner
	frequencies are also the same as those in Europe.  If I buy a card in
	the USA, will it work here, or are there two different kinds of card,
	depending on where they're sold?

	The web site is not of much help.  To help me decide, it would be nice
	to hear from somebody with experience with the cards who can tell me a
	definite answer to at least one of these questions:

	* Are there separate versions for different countries?
	* Does the device you have support both PAL and NTSC?
	* Does the tuner on your device support both European and US
	  frequencies?
	* What kind of antenna connector does your card have?  US TVs tend to
	  have a screw-on connector, while European one tend to have a push-on
	  connector.

	Other information, in particular where I can get them cheap, would
	also be appreciated.

You may find some useful info in this article:

http://arstechnica.com/guide/audio-visual/videocapturing/vidcap-1.html

Email me offline if you want me to send you the PDF of it.

 - aW