MP3 players (USB devices) -- how compatible?

sp0rkmail sp0rkmail at brainguts.no-ip.com
Fri Jun 4 23:11:50 GMT 2004

I've got a Rio Karma, and it's quite awesome.  It's USB, but it's dock
comes with a built in ethernet port.  The firmware on is has a built in
web server which allows you to download a java application and use that
to transfer files and manage playlists when the beast is docked.  I've
been able to transfer files in FreeBSD, linux, windows, and OS X this
way.  It's also cheaper than an iPod, supports more codecs (MP3, ogg,
FLAC, and wma), and has a 20 gig capacity.  It's got the ethernet hookup
as well as USB2.  The dock has RCA out so you can hook it up to your
home stereo system.  It's just an awesome little monster.  It's served
me well these last two quarters at school and it's pretty durable: after
having dropped it twice and had it bounce around in my back pack on a
regular basis, it still plays perfectly.  There are also tests of audio
quality done (I've seen several) that rank it at the top of the pack for
mp3 and ogg quality.

There's only two downsides.  One is that it doesn't show up as a umass
device due to it's databasing system (i think it's databasing system, at
least), so if you want to use USB2, you need windows until they come out
with drivers for linux, bsd, or OS X.  Personally, I've done all my
transfers over the network.  The second is that you need USB2 and their
windows software to update the firmware.  However, the software is
freely available online, and it's fairly small, so it's very possible to
go over to a friend's house and update your firmware on their box, or
obviously any other available windows box you can get your hands on.

I've had mine since February and I'm extremely happy with it.

-Eli