Does anyone compose music using any oftheportsfromthe/ports/audio collection in FreeBSD?

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sat Jul 17 03:49:26 PDT 2004

*sigh*

I originally invited Dev to comment in this thread about the current
development/state of OSS because some people suggested changing the API of
our soundsystem. Dev made a remark about further improving the MIDI support
of their product _not being a top priority_ at the moment, because they want
to pave the way for modern digital audio technology based on OSS first and
everybody seems to have just read that remark, or half of it, and
misunderstood it to boot.

I'm sure you all know this, John, but perhaps I should clear it up a bit for
the occasional readers of this list and those who are perhaps only starting
out with this whole multimedia thing:

OSS is two things: It's 1.) The Open Sound System, a commercial software
product that contains sound drivers for a wide variety of hardware, developed
by 4Front Technologies. It is available for many UNIX flavours, including -
for more information see their website, http://www.opensound.com.

OSS is also 2.)Tthe commonly used name for the API defined by this product.
Many sound drivers and driver frameworks are source and binary compatible to
this API, including FreeBSD's and Linux'.

So when Dev Mazumdar discusses features and future directions of OSS, he
discusses the _product_. That's why discussing the future development of MIDI
support like it has happened here is offtopic - it's the future development
of the OSS product, discussing it should happen at 4front's facilities and
between 4front developers and (prospective) customers.

Dev is at the moment not at all involved in actual development of FreeBSD's
_own_ sound driver framework (except trying to coordinate some API-related
issues). The development of OUR stuff, including getting MIDI support back
into FreeBSD's own sound drivers, is currently done by people like Matthew
Kanner and Seigo Tanimura and it's happening in FreeBSD-CURRENT.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org