Hauppauge WinTV support in bktr

Jacob Meuser jakemsr at jakemsr.com
Thu Dec 30 19:12:44 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 06:19:38PM -0800, Steve Sizemore wrote:
> I just purchased and installed a new Hauppauge WinTV PCI card
> in my Dell desktop, running FreeBSD 5.3.
>
> After manually loading bktr_mem and bktr kernel modules, I was able to
> build and run fxtv from the port. However, I don't get any picture.
> I think this is because the tuner on the card is not recognized.
>
> From dmesg:
>
>     bktr_mem: memory holder loaded
>     bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xfc001000-0xfc001fff irq 11 at device 7.0 on pci2
>     bktr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
>     bktr0: Hauppauge Model 29440  @ %
>     bktr0: Warning - Unknown Hauppauge Tuner 0x9d
>     bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner.
>     bktr0: Warning - Unknown Hauppauge Tuner 0x9d
>
> Is there hope that this card might be supported?

it has a bt878 compatible chip, which is good.

> Anything I can do to help the process?

find out what kind of tuner it has.  this information is usually on
the tuner (the "box" on the card where the cables attach), but you
may have to peel back some stickers ;)
some model numbers are listed in sys/dev/bktr/bktr_card.c.
by looking at the tuner on my two different cards, I was able to
determine what tuners they had.

looks like the driver read the tuner id from the eeprom but did
not recognize it.

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>