MIDI programming

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Wed Dec 29 18:47:49 PST 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:39:50 -0800, Brolin <f7 at dccnet.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to write C programs that (send MIDI messages to) play notes for
>
> playback on a software synthesizer. On Windows I can do this by using
> the midiOutShortMsg API, using for playback the software synthesizer
> included with Win98 and Win2k. How can I do this on FreeBSD (5.3)?
>
> Thanks,
> Brolin

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to do this under FreeBSD.  MIDI
support was removed several years ago, when the entire sound sub-system
was replaced.

There's a MIDI sub-system currently in the works, but it's not yet
officially committed, and no clear date in sight as to when that will
happen.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  You're not the only one who would
like to see MIDI capability returned to FreeBSD.   It's been a *long*
time. <sigh>

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"