remote TV viewing?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Wed Apr 7 16:56:58 PDT 2004

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:44:39 +0100
Marco Molteni <molter at tin.it> wrote:

> have a look at NAS network audio system (there is also a fbsd port)
> http://radscan.com/nas.html

After having trouble with NAS (see other posting), I tried with esound
(esd). According to the documentation, esd shall also be able to
reproduce audio over the network.

Here is the story so far:

1) setting up esd for network play.
My "normal" esd runs like this: 'esd -d /dev/dsp0.3'. I found out
through trial and error that no matter what parameters I added, I
couldn't get that esd to both play local sound and sound from the
network. So I left it alone, and started another esd. This time with
parameters like so: 'esd -d /dev/dsp0.2 -tcp -public -port 5001'.

2) Enabling esd to accept input from machines other than localhost.
On the esd machine, I ran 'esdctl -s localhost:5001 unlock'.

3) Testing esd from the other machine.
I ran 'esdplay -s soundhost.5001 test.wav' from the TV machine, and it
worked. I also ran 'esdctl -s soundhost:5001 serverinfo', it worked too.

4) Testing xawtv and fxtv - WITHOUT sound.
Just to make sure that everything was working as before, I tried
'DISPLAY=soundhost:0.0 xawtv'  and
'DISPLAY=soundhost:0.0 fxtv -inputFormat pal -antennaFreqSet weurope'

both worked.

5) Testing xawtv and fxtv - with sound (?)
The final step was to test the two programs with sound. For that, I used
'esddsp', like this:
'DISPLAY=soundhost:0.0 esddsp -m -s soundhost:5001 xawtv'
'DISPLAY=soundhost:0.0 esddsp -m -s soundhost:5001 fxtv -inputFormat pal
 -antennaFreqSet weurope'

But that didn't work. No sound.

Any hints on getting this to work?
--