Onboard soundcard & FreeBSD 5.0 ???

Vlado Korcek vladokorcek at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 4 00:02:56 PDT 2003

      Hi People,
    I've tried to set up the sound card on my machine but unsuccessfully
   :-(
    I'm running FreeBSD 5.0. The MB is Abit NF7-S based on nForce2
    chipset. The sound card is on board:  AC 97 CODEC on board
    I've compiled the KERNEL with "device pcm" in order to get the
    audio running. But when I reboot the system and then I check for the
    device, I see nothing:
       grep pcm /var/run/dmesg.boot  - shows no pcm device
       dmesg | grep pcm - no device listed
   If I look to /boot/kernel/ , I see the snd_* module are loaded.
   But when I look into /dev/  there is nothing like:
   /dev/audio
   /dev/dsp
   /dev/mixer

   I wonder why?
   Could anyone advice me what can be the problem and how to get it
    running???

   Thanks in advance.

   Vlado

   What to wear? Plan your week [1]with MSN Weather