sound recording questions

Bill Reid wer at cstone.net
Wed Nov 19 08:56:18 PST 2003

Since you have a rec option in your mixer....  I would go ahead and set
the record input (which you probably already did)

mixer -f /dev/mixer[device] =rec [ line, mic ]

When you run mixer you should see
Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75
Recording source: mic

So I got my recording source in mixer output.

Also you could try giving the program the actual device /dev/dspW0.1
instead of a symlink....  Maybe it will like that better.

The only other thing I can say on the topic is that many full duplex
cards (I am not at all familiar with yours) can do full duplex but may
only do 8 bit in one direction and 16 bit in the other.
So they may be trying to set AFMT_S16_LE or AFMT_STEREO in both
directions, which might not work.  They should be doing AFMT_U8 on
playback and AFMT_STEREO on recording .....

Not sure if this helps you.  My only recording interests were to "Tivo"
Radio talk show Mainly Art Bell.

Um.  So I just have some crappy program and some scripts.  I have not
been played with anything else related to recording.

Best wishes,

-=Bill