Looking at darwin? (was: Re: BSD video capture emulation question)

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Tue Jul 15 02:07:15 PDT 2003

Marco Molteni wrote this message on Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:53 +0200:
> I appreciate your effort to provide a "video4bsd" facility.
>
> Since Apple is famous for being one of the OS of choice for multimedia
> professional work, and Darwin is so closely related to FreeBSD, may I
> suggest to check if Darwin already has some of the
> APIs/services/subsystems/whatever that might be ported to FreeBSD?
>
> I don't follow Darwin so I cannot say for sure, but I think we should
> try to avoid, if possible, the Not Invented Here syndrome ;-)

Last I heard, there was an issue of licenses between Darwin and FreeBSD.
I have sent mail to -core asking about it.

That said, we might want to leverage their userland API for it, but
I don't think we could use any of their hardware API.  They have a very
different hardware framework.  One that would make adding shims a bit
too complex.

So, are you going to do the research and work on this?  You didn't
even post any links to code, so all the video API may be apart of
Mac OSX and not Darwin.  This means that we can't get the code.  So,
if you really thing we should do this route, send your research to
the list.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579