Hauppauge WinTV bktr-- no audio.

Alexander Langer alex at big.endian.de
Sat Dec 20 02:32:13 PST 2003

Thus spake Patrick Hajek (pphajek at lbl.gov):

> The internal audio mode is the only setting on fxtv that I can hear a faint
> audio signal after playing with the mixer software and increasing the
> sound level on the speakers-- it's barely detectable from the background
> noise-- hey, it's a start.  I have been reading the documentation

Try to raise the line-in mixer, it's the only setting you can change for
the internal mode.

> and one specific to the a Hauppauge WinTV PCI Card.  My investigation now
> is centered around accessing the mixer on the WinTV card.

Forget about those mixers, we don't have support for those yet.

> > > bktr0: Detected a MSP34255?-?31 at 0x80
> > bktr0: Detected a MSP3415D-B3 at 0x80

I've never tested the MSP342* revisions, I only have the 3415 as well.

Please do:
- paste the debug-output of "boot -v" related to the bktr code.
  There will be a lot more lines in dmesg after you started a tv-app
  such as fxtv, so please include those as well.
- Try to set bktr.0.mspsimple=0 (before loading the driver, e.g. from
  the loader or device.hints).  This forces the driver to fall
  back to the fallback-mode for MSP340* chipsets, maybe it works for
  you as well.

Could you maybe try out the card under Linux? The
BKTR_NEW_MSP34XX_DRIVER is ported from the Linux-driver, if it doesn't
work under Linux, there is little chance we get it working under
FreeBSD.

> > > options         OVERRIDE_TUNER=9
> > > options         OVERRIDE_MSP=1
> > > options         OVERRIDE_DBX=1

Forget about those, I don't know if they have side-effects.
If you've got a dolby-card, please set the "... .dolby" sysctl. I've
never tried it myself, but it's supposed to work.

Alex