Hauppauge PVR-250 / 350 Driver

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Wed Dec 3 09:57:07 PST 2003

John Wehle wrote this message on Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 00:24 -0500:
> > Do you have the specs for the card around? or pointers to them?
>
> MPEG record specifications:
>
>   MPEG1 recording at 1150K bits/sec (Video CD data rate)
>   MPEG2 record datarates:
>     2MBit/sec, 4MBit/sec, 6Mbit/sec, 8Mbit/sec, 12Mbit/sec.
>     Selections for DVD Standard play (8MBitsec), DVD Long Play (4MBit/sec)
>     and DVD Extra Long Play (2MBit/sec)
>   NTSC format at 29.97fps: Full D1: 720x480, MPEG1: 352x240
>   PAL format at 25fps: Full D1: 720x576, MPEG1: 352x288
>   Audio capture formats: 32/44.1/48 KHz, 16bit stereo, 192/224/384Kbits/sec

Nice, I saw this card in the store recently and was thinking it'd be
nice to get this card running on FreeBSd. :)  Might just have to go buy
one..

Any work on integrating it with one of the many PVR programs out there?

> > Take a look at:
> > http://people.FreeBSD.org/~jmg/videobsd.html
>
> You mention:
>
>   Most capture cards have a seperate interface to capture sound.
>
> This isn't really the case for the PVR-250 / 350.  The MPEG program
> stream from the card contains both sound and video.

Yeh, And I did say most.. :)  I was thinking that if the card does
something special with sound, like integrate it into a codec stream,
then the sound capture could/should? be set as a parameter of that
device that does the integration...  Because I assume that the card
can only captuer sound as part of the mpeg codec stream? (going to
check the specs).

Do people think that sound should be brought under it's umbrela?
I don't want to delay it too much by expanding the scope..  Just getting
video is going to be difficult enough..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579