Problems with bktr on 5.x

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 14 05:14:52 PDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 05:25:43PM -0700, Lars Eggert wrote:
> I'm not sure if we have the same problem, but here's mine: Whenever I
> start fxtv now, the window is black and I get:
>
> 	ioctl(METEORSSIGNAL, -65535) failed: Invalid argument
[...]
> I've rolled back the driver, and a version before 8/10 works, while one
> after 8/11 doesn't. I'm thus pretty sure that the following commit broke
> things:
[...]
> >  1.126     +1 -1      src/sys/dev/bktr/bktr_core.c

Yes, the ioctl failure is certainly because of revision 1.126 of
bktr_core.c.  You can safely back that revision out locally, as it was
(supposed to be) cosmetic.  However, I'm not ready yet to back it out
in CVS.

I can't find any documentation for METEORSSIGNAL, but from the
(driver) code, it appears that it should be a signal number.  The
attempt to set the signal to -65535 in fxtv (and one part of
mplayer... probably copied from fxtv?) looks like a bug to me, but I'd
like to hear from the driver author and from the fxtv author.  I hope
they are on this list.

It would be informative if one could make a one-line change to fxtv to
see if it still works correctly.  Change

 tvcapture.c
   1968     larg = METEOR_SIG_MODE_MASK;

   1968     larg = 0;

and likewise on line 2064.  Hrm, I'll have to look into this futher
tonight.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   . NTT/Verio SME      . FreeBSD UNIX       . Heimdal
nectar at celabo.org . jvidrine at verio.net . nectar at freebsd.org . nectar at kth.se