Problems with bktr on 5.x

Guido Berhoerster ich at guido-berhoerster.org
Mon Aug 11 10:58:31 PDT 2003

Hello,
I've got some trouble with the bktr-driver on FreeBSD 5.x. I
already posted this about a week ago on -current. Unfortunately I
didn't get many responses so I hope somebody here can help me
with this problem.

----snip----
With fxtv the video-output is distorted and choppy, it appears
that only odd scanlines are redrawn regularly while even
scanlines remain for like half a second as "ghost images". When
the fxtv window is overlapped by some other window the video is
only updated about every 30 seconds. When using mplayer's
bsdbt848-driver I get an undistorted image but also choppy video.
I wasn't able to test it with xawtv since it's still broken on
5.x.
This is a regression over 4.x, where everything works flawlessly.
I can reproduce these Problems on FreeBSD 5.0, 5.1, -CURRENT and
also on NetBSD 1.6.1. So my guess is that this is related to some
more recent patches which have been applied to FreeBSD 5.x and
NetBSD 1.6.1 but not FreeBSD 4.8.
Does anybody have similar problems or does anybody know what
changes might have caused this problem?

Here's the relevant dmesg output:
bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xd7000000-0xd7000fff irq 9 at device
10.0 on pci0
bktr0: Hauppauge Model 44354 C242
bktr0: Detected a MSP3415G-B8 at 0x80
bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips FR1216 PAL FM tuner,
msp3400c stereo, remote control.
Please CC me since I'm not subscribed to -multimedia.

TIA,
Guido Berhoerster    ich at guido-berhoerster.org
                     http://www.guido-berhoerster.org/