Divx , avifile, mpeg4ip - all a pitfall somehow

Andrew Sparrow spadger at spadger.best.vwh.net
Fri Apr 11 15:51:53 PDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 12:30:43PM +0200, Anders Nordby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You want mplayer. I have no problems playing divx with it.

Yup. I've encountered files that would'nt play with earlier version,
but they're generally kind of wacky anyway, and they're also getting
fewer all the time - mplayer even plays Sorenson QT now.

It just gets better and better.

> (Actually, I am making some divx films myself with a DV camcorder, Kino
> and mjpegtools.  Hopefully one day, there's also some GUI like Kino I
> can use for editing the movies in FreeBSD...)

Uhhh, take a look at mjpeg (not tried it yet) and avidemux (which
hasn't yet migrated from 'graphics' to 'multimedia'), both are in
-ports.

I found that 'avidemux' gets kind of unhappy unless you give it
raw video/audio, then it seems to work OK. I just used 'mencode -oac
pcm -ovc raw' to get files it'll work with.

HTH.

Cheers,

AS