How to play new flavor of mp3 files

Mike Meyer mwm-dated-1050523481.f38b8c at mired.org
Fri Apr 11 13:04:43 PDT 2003

I've recently started seeing mp3 files that neither mpg123 nor
plaympeg can deal with. I find this rather annoying, and would like to
know if there's something I can use to play them. All my examples are
rather large, so I won't attach one here. But file identifies them as:
"MP3,  32 kBits, 44.1 kHz, Stereo". Playing them with mpg123 results
in errors about not being able to rewind the stream; playing them with
plaympeg results in a random collection of clicks.

Anyone know what they are and what I can use to play them, and
hopefully translate them to other formats?

	Thanks,
	<mike