gtk file chooser weirdness in linux-firefox

Tue Aug 15 22:20:53 UTC 2006

Quoting Alexander Konovalenko <kono at kth.se> (Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:01:17 +0200):

> On Tuesday 15 August 2006 15:19, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:47:31 +0200
> >
> > Alexander Konovalenko <kono at kth.se> mentioned:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > For a long time I am experiencing weird problem when trying to choose
> > > file from File->Open_File or when I want to change "download
> > > action/helper application" in the preferences. The problem is that GTK
> > > file chooser does not list all files in the selected directory.
> > >
> > > Check it out here:
> > > http://daemon.nanophys.kth.se/~kono/buggy_file_chooser.png
> > >
> > >  So some GTK library want to convince me that in /usr/X11R6/bin folder
> > > there are only three files? there are 539!
> > >
> > > I tried to right-click and activate hidden files in the chooser, tried
> > > from the root account, no luck.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> >
> > That's because Linux apps access files rooted in /compat/linux first,
> > and only falls back if file isn't found. So firefox merely lists
> > contents of /compat/linux/usr/X11R6, not /usr/X11R6.
>
> ok, you are right, but in /usr/compat/linux there is no home folder for
> example, however file chooser of linux-firefox shows it together with other
> folders from FreeBSD root folder. Isn't it weird to mix folders
> from /usr/compat/linux and / ? Is there any configuration of this?

No, there's no config of this. The linuxolator depends upon this
behavior. Without it it it either couldn't find the linux libs, or you
aren't able to access your files with the native path.

If you need to access a file which isn't visible, you just have to type
in the full name. This way you aren't able to access a file which is
also available with different content but the same name
in /compat/linux, and you aren't able to browse with the mouse, but you
can at least access it.

> And how to jump to the real / folder from linux-app file chooser (currently I
> just created a soft link to it)? There is button called "Filesystems" but
> that does not go to freebsd /.

There's no way to go to see the real / (except you do a null mount to
somewhere else or something like this).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
   The dame was hysterical. Dames Usually are.  -- Calvin as Tracer Bullet