flash and java plugins

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Mon Dec 29 06:57:47 PST 2003

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 08:17:39 +0000, Jose Maria Kulalapnot wrote:

> flashpluginwrapper can only make flash5.0r51 work, not flash6.

[...]

> java plugins work in native mozilla. flash6 and acroread5 work in linux
> mozilla. so i switch between the native and linux mozilla when viewing
> flash, pdf, and applets.

I was working with this last night. Apparently flashplugingwrapper is
being depreciated, and the "new way" is via www/linuxpluginwrapper
instead, which installs Flash6. The process is a bit convoluted, though...
on my 5.1 system I had to build libmap support, which involved downloading
the 5.1 sources (420MB, which I hadn't before) and building rtld-elf. Then
when you build linuxpluginwrapper it tells you stuff to add to
/etc/libmap.conf. Even after all that, it's a bit unstable, but I have it
working mostly w/ Firebird and Epiphany. Still playing around with it. One
site that has stuff which requires Flash6 (www.verizon.com) occasionally
locks up Epiphany, and right now something busted so every site I go to
with Flash it prompts me to dl the plugin even though I have it (this
happened just recently).