fontconfig and mozilla

Matthew Luckie mjl at luckie.org.nz
Fri Apr 11 03:01:46 PDT 2003

well, this isn't _really_ a mozilla problem.

i battled getting mozilla to work (i had the well known problem where you
start mozilla and no window pops up, and no error message is given).

fontconfig had indexed (written a fonts.cache-1) all the directories
under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts including 100dpi, 75dpi, utils and misc
(to name a few).  I had a look at my netbsd box and it had only indexed
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType so I edited /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
and removed all the <dir> entries except for the TrueType directory.

I also did a ktrace on mozilla and found that it was barfing shortly after
opening a 100dpi font:

   275 mozilla-bin CALL  open(0x86cbab0,0,0)
   275 mozilla-bin NAMI  "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/helvB08.pcf.gz"
   275 mozilla-bin RET   open 22/0x16

My questions are:

 - should fontconfig be indexing for all directories after fonts/ ??

 - if not, how do i write a local.conf to exclude these directories and
   only look at the directories with TrueType fonts?

[ cvsup'd about 12 hours ago, and I did a portupgrade -Rf mozilla to
  make sure all libraries that mozilla depended on were upgraded if
  necessary. ]

(please cc: me, i'm not subscribed to this mailing list)

Matthew