Some patches and problem-analysis for build-hangs of mono on FreeBSD (SMP)

Fri Jan 29 14:10:45 UTC 2010

Hi all,

first of all, I'm not subscribed. If you want an answer from me, CC me.

In my blog I wrote 2 posts about debugging mono on FreeBSD-current.
The problem I have is, that mono hangs during the build on my SMP
system. When I stop and restart, it continues building, but it hangs
very often. A debug build of mono does not hand very often (once in my
first build, two times in my second build).

I also created some patches. One is probably a bug everywhere, I
think. One is maybe not necessary but it highlights what is going
wrong. The rest is to make a debug build succeed.

At
http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2010/01/28/mono-build-problems-on-freebsd-current/ is the background and an initial
analysis.

At
http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2010/01/29/debugging-langmono-2nd-round/
I have the patches and some speculation about what the real problem
could be.

I have now a build of mono which I can use to build the apps which
triggered the mono build, so I am not much interested in digging into
this more, but the info I have in the two blog entries can help maybe
someone who is interested to solve the problems.

BTW: make install of the FreeBSD port fails, as the gac is not able to
write to a directory (Failure adding assembly
./../../class/lib/net_1_1/System.dll to the cache: gac directories
could not be created, possibly permission issues.). Unfortunately it
does not tell to which one. I made an install with -i. This way I
found that it is referring to /usr/local/lib/mono/gac which exists and
has good permissions.

Here is the list of missing files for a "make package":
tar: lib/mono/2.0/IBM.Data.DB2.dll: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: lib/mono/2.0/Mono.WebBrowser.dll: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: lib/mono/3.5/System.Web.Extensions.Design.dll: Cannot stat: No
such file or directory

I didn't had any errors during the build, so I assume the pkg-plist is
wrong and/or the dependency list of the port is not complete.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
One doesn't have a sense of humor.  It has you.
		-- Larry Gelbart