Dell Precision 7520 laptop: built-in mouse "fail"; USB mouse OK

Shawn Webb shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org
Mon Mar 19 00:41:29 UTC 2018

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 09:33:48AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> As I've migrated from one laptop to another (since around 2000), I don't
> recall encountering issues with the built-in mouse before, so this
> caught me a bit off guard.  :-}
>
> My last several laptops have all been Dell machines; the one I've
> been using regularly for the last 3 years in a Precision M4800;
> information on it may be found at
> <https://wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops/Dell_Precision_M4800?highlight=(\bCategoryLaptop\b)>,
> and copies of full verbose dmesg.boot files (running stable/11 &
> head, built this morning) may be found via
> <http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/history/>.
>
> Yesterday, I took delivery of a Dell Precision 7520, the superficial
> appearance of which is quite like that of the M4800: Each has both
> trackpoint ("eraser-head") pointer and a trackpad; for each machine,
> the trackpad has a set of 3 buttons across the top and  a set of 3
> across the bottom.  (And in each, the set of "mouse components" is
> offset to the left by about half the width of the numeric keypad that I
> don't use and wish wasn't there.  :-/ )
>
> However, while the mouse "just works" on the M4800, it does absolutely
> nothing in FreeBSD (except create a stationary cursor).  (It works
> fine going into the BIOS setup and making adjustments to various
> things, so this isn't a hardware issue, per se.)
>
> I built stable/11 @r331093 (amd64) on each of them and saved a verbose
> dmesg.boot on each; I have copied them to
> <http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/laptops/>.
>
> I extracted the part (of the dmesgboot files) that involves the
> keyboard and mouse for comparison here:

How different is the 7520 from the 7510? I'm running HardenedBSD
12-CURRENT on the 7510 without issues. Both the trackpad and the thing
below and between the G and H keys (I totally forgot what it's called)
work fine for me. Multitouch for vertical scrolling on the trackpad
works fine, too.

I haven't tried 11-STABLE on this laptop.

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder and Security Engineer

Tor-ified Signal:    +1 443-546-8752
GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE