Elantech touchpad: failed to read capability bits

Daniel Sparti daniel.sparti at posteo.net
Mon Dec 10 09:32:56 UTC 2018

Hello,

Having installed FreeBSD, I enjoy it a lot. But I struggle with my touchpad and I can't get it recognised as an Elantech touchpad.
My FreeBSD version is 11.2-RELEASE, and I've got a compiled kernel with EVDEV_SUPPORT, and libinput and xf86-input-libinput are
installed as well. I must say moused is disabled, and I've got 'hw.psm.elantech_support="1" in /boot/loader.conf.

This is the relevant content of dmesg -a:

elantech: BEGIN INIT
psm: SET_SCALING11 return code:00fa
psm: SET_SCALING11 return code:00fa
psm: SET_SCALING11 return code:00fa
psm: SET_AUX_DEV_STATUS return code:00fa
psm: status 3c 03 00
psm: SET_SCALING11 return code:00fa
psm: SET_RESOLUTION (0) 00fa
psm: SET_RESOLUTION (0) 00fa
psm: SET_RESOLUTION (0) 00fa
psm: SET_RESOLUTION (1) 00fa
psm: SET_AUX_DEV_STATUS return code:00fa
psm: status 45 0f 02
Elantech touchpad hardware v.3 firmware 0x450f02
psm: SET_AUX_DEV_STATUS return code:00fa
psm: status 00 01 14
Failed to read capability bits

...snipped...

psm: status 00 03 64
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> flags 0x24 irq 12 on atkbdc 0
psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0-00, 3 buttons
psm0: config 00000024, flags 00000008, packet size:3
psm0: syncmask:c0, syncbits:00

My BIOS has the latest version. Do you have any idea how I can correct this ?

Kind regards,

Daniel