ThinkPad support

isdtor isdtor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 23:10:48 UTC 2014

> Can you more clearly describe "hibernation"? Since the standard definition
> of hibernation is to save the system to disk and power off, I think you mean
> something else as FreeBSD does not support hibernation. Do you mean that the
> display goes off and the system seems dead? Or that the sleep light on the
> system comes on?

I looked it up on wikipedia and "sleep" is the correct term. The power
switch blinks slowly and the sleep light comes on.

> Can you tell us what graphics driver the system is using? Are you using
> WITH_NEW_XORG? (You probably should be.) WITH_KMS? (Also, you probably
> should, though it will no longer be needed with 10.1).

The machine has settings for integrated/discrete/optimus. Under FBSD,
I use discrete. The card is an nvidia nvs5400m, driver version 331.67
(I see now that the only driver versions ever used on this machine
were 331.49 and 331.67; initially, I started of with the integrated
Intel graphics, which had its own set of problems). Yes to new xorg
and kms.

I can reproduce this behaviour at will - boot up, log into desktop,
and press e.g. F5-F6 repeatedly (F5 - wlan; F6 - camera+head set).
Within seconds, the system goes to sleep, and I can recover by closing
and reopening the lid.