Update on Lenovo W540

Eric McCorkle eric at metricspace.net
Sun Aug 17 19:11:56 UTC 2014

I've finally gotten the time to do some more work on the laptop.  In the
course of that, a few questions/points came up:

* The only device not currently being detected (aside from the wireless
card) is some kind of "active management technology" interface.  It
seems there was a driver (heci) under development for that at some
point.  On the other hand, I did some research on this device, and the
"features" seem rather ominous (remote execution, automated updates,
etc), so I'm not sure I want it enabled...

* Tethering to a smartphone works (urndis driver), and is my current
workaround for the lack of a wireless driver.

* The nvidia driver still does not work.  I'm working to track down the
cause, but it looks like some sort of ACPI-related issue.

* The acpi_ibm and acpi_video drivers load, but the keys don't seem to
work.  Is there some config file that needs to be written to map the
keys to the right functions?  Also, setting the hw.acpi.video. variables
doesn't seem to do anything.

There are apparently two devices: lcd0 and lcd1
hw.acpi.video.lcd[01].active are both 0, and attempting to set them to 1
does nothing.  The .brightness, .fullpower, and .economy variables
likewise seem to have no effect.

* The method for changing the X keymap to dvorak seems to have changed.
  I used to do this by setting 'Option "XkbLayout" "dvorak"' in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, but that doesn't seem to be working.  Did something
change recently?

* There seem to be some issues with alsalib (I posted to the -sound
list).  Pulseaudio, firefox, and flash player seem to work fine, but
anything based on alsalib doesn't.

* The USB system continues to report timeout errors on startup and
resume, but they don't seem to have any real effect.