Notes; Lenovo T400

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 06:46:33 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Yeah I commented it out to make it work.
>
> Try booting to single user mode and then try a suspend/resume pass.
>

> Adrian
>

> On 1 February 2013 17:34, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Adrian,
>>
>> Can I assume that you did NOT have the '#' in the sysctl.conf? (Still
>> hoping to et my T520 to resume some day.)
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It turns out my Lenovo T400 issue? It was because in /etc/sysctl.conf
>>> I had this:
>>>
>>> # hw.acpi.reset_video=1
>>>
>>> .. don't do that.
>>>

>>> Adrian

Almost worked. I saw several acpi power state errors as the system
suspended. On resume, the system came back up, but the display
remained off (no backlight). I was able to type 'shutdown -r now' and
do a clean reboot. Of course, the number of differences between single
and multi-user are substantial, but this eliminates a LOT of things.

I then tried coming up to multi-user, but not starting X (Gnome).
Again, it suspended and resumed with no display. My network came up
and I sshed into the system from my phone. Then I got an interrupt
from my greyhounds. Time to brush their teeth. I was away from the
laptop for about 10 minutes. When I came back, it was dead. My ssh
session was hung and I could no longer ping it. :-(

Weird. It's getting really close, but not quite. I suspect that the
video ties into it in some way. I also mount a couple of FUSE NTFS
partitions when I start X (Gnome auto-mounts them). When I suspend in
Gnome, the network never comes back up and the power LED pulses just
like it does while suspended, so it really does not finish the resume.
I think I can now eliminate the wireless (iwn), at least.

Thanks for the suggestions!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com