How to get FreeBSD-8.2 to recognise pcmcia for ethernet on a libretto ?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Mon Jan 23 22:55:04 UTC 2012

Hi  Warner (*) & FreeBSD mobile@

I'm trying to upgrade my Toshiba libretto from 4.11 to 8.2-RELEASE.
The 8.2 Generic kernel with 4.11 tree of binaries boots OK (with
device.hints, see URL above) & runs X11 OK;
But the ed0 pcmcia card that 4.11 uses for ethernet, is not seen.

All my configs & dmesg etc here:
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/toshiba/libretto/

I guess I need some magic for pcmcia ?
(*) I had a note from Warner about 5.2.1 & YE-Data pcmcia cards (for floppy).

PPS I could do a make world, But:
   That'd probably not get a working ethernet over pcmcia without
   same extra config magic, & killing my ethernet I'm trying to avoid
   as floppy drive & cdrom drive are both via a Single pcmcia slot.
   Beyond that its PLIP or SLIP - none are easy.

   I also failed to create an fdisk MBR with 2 boot partitions when
   I installed 4.11, just 1 big partition, hence I'm trying to establish
   if ethernet will work before running a make world.

   If it will work I'll backup & remove disk to another machine, &
   edit the MBR to allow more bootable FreeBSD slices.

Ideas & tips & URLs welcome please, Thanks

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".