Acer Aspire 5672 laptop and FreeBSD 8.0-stable

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Fri Oct 8 23:35:55 UTC 2010

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 21:26:15 +0100
Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:

> This is just a FYI,
>
> I have an Acer Aspire 5672 laptop[1], which mainly runs Xubuntu, because FreeBSD doesn't work very well on it. From time to time, I test it with FreeBSD to see if the situation has improved.
> The results for FreeBSD 8.0-stable are now in[2].

FYI: I have now tested this laptop with FreeBSD 8.1-release. The results are the same as with 8.0-stable: due to troubles with decoding PCIe bridges correctly (or somesuch) the network interfaces - wireless (wpi) and wired (bge) doesn't work. Patches to the pci code might help this, but I have not tested that yet.
As before, dmesg output are on the web page maentioned in the original post.

> What can I say?
>
> The only way I can get network interfaces (bge, wpi) working is by disabling acpi. However, I can't run the laptop with acpi disabled for longer periods of time, because it will overheat.
> If acpi is enabled, and I kldload if_wpi the machine panics (page fault).
>
> In short, this particular laptop doesn't work very well with FreeBSD.

> 2) http://sites.google.com/site/tingox/aceraspireas5672andfreebsd
> --
> Regards,
> Torfinn Ingolfsen