Axesstel modem ignoring everything

Alex Povolotsky tarkhil at webmail.sub.ru
Sat Jun 19 06:06:35 UTC 2010

Hello!

I've installed Axesstel MV100 CDMA modem on 7.2 server, it got attached
by ucom and worked well ... for some time, despite console messages

Jun 16 05:56:41 server-1 kernel: ucom0: ubsa_request(a, 1): STALLED
Jun 16 05:56:41 server-1 kernel: ucom0: ubsa_request(b, 1): STALLED
Jun 16 05:56:41 server-1 kernel: ucom0: ubsa_request(0, 2): STALLED
Jun 16 05:56:41 server-1 kernel: ucom0: ubsa_request(3, 0): STALLED
Jun 16 05:56:41 server-1 kernel: ucom0: ubsa_request(2, 3): STALLED
Jun 16 05:56:41 server-1 kernel: ucom0: ubsa_request(1, 0): STALLED
Jun 16 05:56:41 server-1 kernel: ucom0: ubsa_request(10, 191): STALLED

After a night of inactivity, it ceased to work. ppp dropped and was
unable to reconnect, connecting with cu showed PPP packets, sometimes

$QCMTI: ALIVE

and no reaction on break, +++, AT, drop DTR.

After several attempts, I've managed to hangup modem and reattach ppp;
however, after one more night modem became completely unresponsive.
Similar problems were mentioned in some Polish Ubuntu forum, without
meaningful response.

Maybe someone has found a way to either make Axesstel properly react on
break/dtr, or at least a way to reset it? I am unable to install
sysutils/upower since the server is connected by much more expensive and
slow GSM modem, and upower requires dbus, gnome, and, most likely, will
request video codecs and OpenGL. Besides that, I haven't found in upower
manuals any clues on just resetting the USB device.

Thanks in advance

Alex.