Automatic shutdown with devd.

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu Jun 3 14:16:31 UTC 2010

[ moved here from freebsd-questions ]
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, David DEMELIER wrote:
 > 2010/6/3 Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au>:
 > > On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, David DEMELIER wrote:
 > >  > 2010/6/1 Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au>:
 > >  > > In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 313, Issue 4, Message: 26
 > >  > > On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:55:08 +0200 David DEMELIER <demelier.david at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > [..]
 > >  > >  > Is there a way to make this conditional to do only if the laptop is
 > >  > >  > not charging, AC plugged in ?
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Your script can check whether the AC power is on with:
 > >  > >
 > >  > >        AC=`sysctl -n hw.acpi.acline`
 > >  > >        if [ $AC = 1 ]; then
 > >  > >                exit 0          # or whatever, when on AC power
 > >  > >        elif [ $AC = 0 ]; then
 > >  > >                :               # do whatever when on battery
 > >  > >        else
 > >  > >                :               # AC/Battery state unknown ..
 > >  > >        fi
 > >  > >
 > >  > > You could try just logging all state changes for a while; from critical
 > >  > > charging to charging to high to discharging to critical discharging, I
 > >  > > think that's the lot .. you can also check hw.acpi.battery.life etc.
 > >  > >
 > >  >
 > >  > Okay I will try a script like this one.
 > >
 > > Let us know how it goes; it's clearer now from below why you need this.
 > >
 > >  > > However, your system should do an 'emergency suspend' on critical low
 > >  > > battery anyway .. usually set at 1% capacity but some BIOS will let you
 > >  > > adjust that (see acpiconf -i0).  Only if suspend/resume works of course.
 > >  > >
 > >  >
 > >  > It would be great if suspend/resume would works yes ! For the moment
 > >  > it's not the case :
 > >  >
 > >  > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/146715
 > >
 > > Ah yes.  I guess you might have to try the freebsd-acpi list about that,
 > > after reading the ACPI debugging section of the Handbook, providing your
 > > dmesg and probably an acpidump of your ASL as shown there.
 > >
 > > I don't know the current status of suspend/resume on amd64, nor anything
 > > about your HP Probook 4510s.  The freebsd-mobile list might be a better
 > > place to start, at least to ask whether anyone else shares your problem?
 > >
 > > cheers, Ian
 >
 > Okay, the HP Probook has some problems with ACPI suspend/resume now. I
 > attached the acpidump -dt.
 >
 > As described in the PR, the resume works but seems to freeze (cannot
 > shutdown by pressing the power button) and the screen stays off.

These lists don't accept non-text attachments, so I've put it up here:

  http://smithi.id.au/hp4510s/acpi.asl.gz

plus your dmesg posted to -stable last week; post it again if changed:

  http://smithi.id.au/hp4510s/dmesg.txt

As I said, I don't know anything about these, hopefully someone does ..

cheers, Ian