FreeBSD and Lenovo G550

Maciej Milewski milu at dat.pl
Thu Apr 22 09:27:42 UTC 2010

Dnia środa, 21 kwietnia 2010 o 22:22:07 Alex napisał(a):
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:19:30 +0200
>
> Frank Wißmann <frank.wissmann41 at web.de> wrote:
> > Hello, list!
> > Does anybody have any experience with the combination mentioned in
> > the subject? I like to buy one, but I'm insecure about how they work
> > together. Any useful comments about it are thankfully appreciated.
>
> I don't have the G550, but I do have the X200-CTO. I am using
> 8.0-RELEASE and it seems to be fine, other than a few slight issues.
> There is no speaker sound (only headphones), you need to use ndis for
> the wireless driver, and sleep/resume/hibernate (etc) do not work.
I have R400 but some chips are common in these laptops.

Alex, for sound try this:

Wireless cards can be different in the same model. I think most popular for
Lenovo are Broadcom and Intel.
My is Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100AGN so iwn driver works fine.

From what is on http://www.lapspecs.com/wiki/lenovo+g550 it looks that it
should be supported but without having it running you can't be sure. There are
many examples where the same model can have totally different parts inside.

Maciek