Switching from wired to wireless getting "network down"

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Sat Mar 28 10:17:10 PDT 2009

Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009, Sam Leffler wrote:
>
>> J. Porter Clark wrote:
>>> I've been playing around with this sort of setup, too, where I
>>> want a command line to change from wired to wireless (at the
>>> same IP address, even) and back again.  I haven't found the
>>> magic solution, particularly one that doesn't have a lot of
>>> hardcoded network config in it.  I'm also somewhat ticked that
>>> "route flush" doesn't really flush all routes like the man page
>>> says.  8-) Eventually, I usually arrive at a point where I can't
>>> find my way back and have to reboot to get some work done.
>>>
>>> Some things I've been using are "route delete <my ip address>"
>>> and "route add -ifp <interface> default".  Might be a good idea
>>> to "arp -a -d", too.
>>>

>> If this is 7.x or later, have you tried using lagg(4) to do automatic
>> failover?  The man page says wpa doesn't work but after talking to
>> Andrew we think that's no longer true.  I haven't had a chance to try
>> it myself.
>
> Yeah, but as far as I can recall, lagg isn't able to change the
> MAC address on the cloned wlanX interface.  lagg with wireless
> and wired interfaces used to work before wlan cloning was added.
> I haven't tested it in a while, though.  Has this been fixed?

You can change the mac address of a wlan ifnet (just verified); the
problem is that it needs to be propagated to the physical ifnet as well
for it to matter (the right thing happens if you do it when you clone
the ifnet but not if you force it after, and I'm not sure you can make
it work).  I'm starting to remember now about this.  Was there a PR
filed?  I completely forgot about this issue and it's likely to happen
again w/o one.

    Sam