X60 overheating with 7.1

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Jan 14 11:40:16 PST 2009

> From: "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <gaijin.k at gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:47:46 -0500
>
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 10:10 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> > Also, 75C is a VERY conservative setting for most modern CPUs. My old P4
> > system (T40) is speced to run at up to 90C and my newer Pentium-M based
> > T43 is speced at 100C. _PSV is 94.5 and _CRT is 99.0 on that system. I
> > suspect that yours would be fine with _PSV of 85C, but you can look up
> > the spec at Intel's web site.
> I think 85C was the default on my laptop. I have lowered it because such
> a tight package gets uncomfortable on one's lap otherwise.

If your employer has ergonomic reviews, I'm sure that they will point
out that a laptop should never be used when sitting on ones lap! Our ergo
people think it's great that some modern laptops get so hot so people
are reminded not to do this. :-)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)