Acer Aspire 5672 laptop and FreeBSD 7.1-stable

Alexander Motin mav at mavhome.dp.ua
Fri Jan 9 09:49:36 UTC 2009

Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> FreeBSD 7.1 has been released, time to upgrade the wicked,
> hard-to-get-working-with FreeBSD laptop again.
> The laptop in question is Acer's Aspire 5672 (the series is called
> Aspire 5670), which is a machine with Intel Core Duo (ie 32-bit) cpu, 2 GB
> RAM and a ATI Radeon X1600 gfx chip onboard. Now upgraded to FreeBSD
> 7.1-stable:
> tingo at kg-home$ uname -a
> FreeBSD kg-home.kg4.no 7.1-STABLE FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #2: Thu Jan  8
> 19:30:11 CET 2009     root at kg-home.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> i386
>
> The problem is that drivers for the nic's (both wired and
> wireless) will not attach when acpi is enabled:

I have alike problem with my Acre TravelMate. On ACPI enable,
PCI-Express bridges losing their resources allocation making device
beyond them inaccessible. Linux able to reallocate that resources, while
FreeBSD does not. I am personally now using patch found on some list
which does it in a dirty hack fashion especially for my system.

--
Alexander Motin