iwi: Possibly wrong interpretation of beacon->number in if_iwi.c?

Andre Albsmeier Andre.Albsmeier at siemens.com
Tue Dec 8 10:42:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, 08-Dec-2009 at 01:05:21 +0000, Rui Paulo wrote:
> On 7 Dec 2009, at 16:36, Andre Albsmeier wrote:
> > What do people think?
>

> This could be a new firmware interface. You might want to check out
> how the latest Linux driver does this.

They do it the same way (comparing the whole 32bit ints).

I don't know about the firmware interface (no docs). Originally,
FreeBSD-6 and FreeBSD-7 use the same fw (V3.0). 8+ uses V3.1.

Our code in FreeBSD-6 is the same as in 7. I didn't have problems with
6 in the very same environment, however, I remember I had to raise
bmissthreshold a bit which means that I actually had missed beacons
(the whole code in question is only triggered on a beacon miss). I don't
have any problems at home where I am only 2m away from the AP (possibly
no missed beacons there).

I have also seen other people report similarly insane numbers. I have
also found reports on the net where the values were reasonable.

As I said, I use fw V3.1 and not the original V3.0. I did so in
FreeBSD-6 as well.

To summarise things, here are my observations of how beacon->number
behaves with different software:

           fw3.0   fw3.1
FreeBSD-6   OK      OK
FreeBSD-7  insane  insane

"insane" means that in 99% of all cases beacon->number is something
like 0xabcdXYXY (abcd can be 0000).

Maybe someone who got the docs can jump in here.

	-Andre