Can't update system.. very strange!

Miquel Guillamet mguillamet at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 12:55:18 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm new to FreeBSD! I was using Arch Linux for long time, which is very
nice. Well.. here is the situation, I've installed the 7.0 release (amd64)
to my MacBook C2D 3,1 Santa Rosa and everything was going nicely and
smoothly but I had to install the ethernet driver the Yukon/Yukon II
Ethernet Adapter from Marvell because the system didn't recognize it and
here is when the big problem came. I been following all the instructions
from the install file:

kldload if_myk
ifconfig myk0 up
dhclient myk0

Then I did some pings to www.google.com and no problem so I wanted to update
the system using pkg_add -rv <packet> but no way to get connected to the
ftp. It says after a 1 minute or so, time out connection. Dns lookups are
working but no ssh,ftp,telnet,http.. What is going on? I did a fresh install
and I didn't touch anything on rc.conf. ipv6 is off, firewall is off. After
googling for a solution I found that the problem could come from the adsl
router that hasn't any "Domain name" on the PPPoE settings and FreeBSD seems
to take care about this thing (no problem on macosx or linux). Using
dhclient command, the output was:

Bogus domain search list 15: domain_not_set.invalid.

So I changed the settings on my Linksys ADSL2 Gateway (no firewall enabled)
but nothing, even with the domain name set, no internet only pings allowed.
Then I tried to use static ip but nothing, same problem. I really don't know
what to do next or where to look. Any idea?

Thanks,

Miquel Guillamet
--
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.