ThinkPad 3GHz [[ alledgedly]]

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat Oct 11 09:38:34 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 01:09:45PM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Gary Kline wrote:
>  > 	Well, for a change I'm not writing dub questions to the main
>  > 	list!  This time, just some advice and maybe hand-holding ...
>  > 	with a pat/back and "That's all right; you didn't have any
>  > 	choice."
>  >
>  > 	I just bought the last pre-Lenovo [?] IBM ThinkPad.  I would have
>
> Gary, what model & type is it?  Exactly?  Doesn't sound like a T43, they
> have a touchpad I think, and - we've been here before - I haven't heard
> of any single-core Thinkpads clocked faster than about 2.2GHz.

	It's a G41.  --if i said t43, my mind was *thinking* "g41"; too
	often i'll be thinking one thing but my fingers type something
	else, maybe close, maybe not!  (yes, i am way short on sleep
	again:)  (*mumble*)  I'll need help it turning the laptop over
	and getting the full model, type, &c.

	i Have run the Windows part and used the firefox to go places,
	but that's about all.  haven't done more because I've got to  get
	another CAT5 cable.

>  > 	much preferred the computer *without* an OS, but hell will freeze
>  > 	over before that happens.  Nutshell, it's got XP on it and I'd
>  > 	like to know if I can scrape it off and either give or sell it.
>
> Scraping it off is as easy as deleting its slice in sysinstall.  I doubt
> you can (legally) sell or even give it away, and who'd want it anyway?

	LOLOL.  Nobody is his right mind!!  The reason I brought it up
	was that my 600E that i bought on ebay was sold without any OS.
	(I was smiling for a month.)

	Anyway, in case you need some (clearing my throat) "fertilizer",
	I can send you what i've scraped off.

>  > 	And if so:exactly how.  It *is* old-fashioned as some reviewers
>  > 	wrote in '05, but it has Only the trackstick or stictrak to move
>  > 	the pointer.  No scratch-and-sniff pad where I'll rest my palm.
>
> I'm waiting for some guinea pig to try an Adesso Easy Cat external
> touchpad on one (U$40 or so).  I've asked several times, but noone so
> far admits to having tried one of these on any FreeBSD box.  I gather
> that at a minimum they emulate standard PS/2 or USB mice, with tap,
> double-tap and drag and possibly right-click-tap, out of the box.

	By touchpad I'm assuming you mean that thing you scrape with your
	fingernails, correct? Or maybe pressed your fingers?  I've tried
	that on my daughter's Macbook and i just don't have the
	dexterity.  A few weeks--nay, a few days-- of cursor-moving that
	way: man, the guys in white coats would have to haul me away.
	Exactly why somebody doesn't make a keyboard with a mouse-curse
	track-stick on it, I don't know.  Mose buttons could be beside
	the space bar.  Think of the kilometers of saved travel-time going
	to from mouse and keyboard.   --starting to rant, sorry--

>  > 	Built-in wireless and built-in cable jack.
>
> Before you wipe anything you could boot off disc 1, or -bootonly, and
> save a dmesg so we can see what all the hardware is, though given the
> model and type numbers, someone will likely already have [had] one.

	I'll poke around on web and on computer.  It's heavy for a
	"portable"; 11 lbs to ship, so 8or 9 probably. Did I mention that
	I had the guy upgrad to a 120G drive and 2GB of DDR?

>  > 	So: should I just drop in 7.1-R or Ubuntu-XYZ over the Windows
>  > 	or what?  The ONLY use I'd ever have to use W is to play my
>  > 	French CD's. O/wise it's useless.
>
> If the HD has plenty of room, you could shrink the doze slice down to
> enough to boot and use it if need be, maybe 4-6GB for XP, using one of
> the various tools such as Partition Magic.  Depending on its model, you
> may need to boot windows to do the BIOS and Embedded Controller updates,
> though many more recent(?) models have bootable ISO images available.

	Mmm.  The more I think about it, the less use I have for anything
	M$.  I mean, there are few people alive as ch--thrifty as I am.
	But I ain't stoopid enough to waste hours -> days to run an OS to
	play my French CDs.

> cheers, Ian

	have a good one,

	gary