FreeBSD on laptops

Vladimir Botka vbotka at suse.cz
Thu Oct 2 17:51:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:21:52 +0200
Reg Me Please <regmeplease at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop.
> I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process
> I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
> 0. Core2 Duo CPUs
> 1. Support for modern chipsets (ICH8)
> 2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on
> laptops 3. support for accelerated graphic cards (nVidia GeForce
> 8600M GT) 4. support for Intel wifi (4965 AGN)
> 5. support for other hardware like audio, card readers, i-Link, USB
>
> And, of course, any advise about FreeBSD on laptops will be highly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi,

maybe this link can help you a little bit http://tuxmobil.org/,

but as the BSD community is conservative in the good sense as of the
stability preference, it is possible that not all the new nice
sparkling modern chipsets will work on BSD* either. From my point of
view IBM Thinkpad is the best choice for BSD, but openSUSE 11.0 worked
"Out of the Box" for me either.

Cheers,

--
	-vlado