ThinkPad x61s

Benjamin Close Benjamin.Close at clearchain.com
Tue Mar 11 23:13:23 UTC 2008

Tom Evans wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 18:21 +1030, Benjamin Close wrote:
>
>> With the recent patches available (see below) the experimental status is
>> rapidly vanishing.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Benjamin
>>

> Hi Benjamin
>
> One of the features I would really like in wpi(4) is hostap mode
> support, which would allow me to access/provide services to wireless
> devices like my ipod from my laptop. I even went out and bought an
> ath(4) to do this, only to be denied by my HP BIOS!
>
> Is this sort of feature technically possible, or was it only through the
> hardware interface exported by the ath binary HAL that this feature is
> possible? I notice no other wifi cards support hostap.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,
    There is very little details about how to implement hostap mode on
wpi. IBSS mode is possible but I don't believe hostap mode will be due
to a lack of specs/firmware support.
Looking at the Intel 4965 chipset aka iwn. Hostap support may be
possible with this chipset though it' certainly not implemented at the
moment.

Cheers,
    Benjamin