Acer 4720Z and Atheros wireless card

eculp at cloudmaster.info eculp at cloudmaster.info
Sat Jun 28 11:48:19 UTC 2008

Quoting Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com>:

> Isaac MacFarlane wrote:
>> Hello all. I am trying to find a *NIX system that will work with this
>> system. Mandriva calls the card an AR5006 and Vista said it was an AR5007.
>> Vista worked fine for about a month or so, but I have decided I want to go
>> all free on my systems. Mandriva will work with the card but locks up after
>> a few hours requiring a restart. Not really acceptable. And it is the best I
>> found in the Linux world. Would any of the BSD systems work with this card?
>> Any recommendations would be most appreciated.
>>
>> Isaac MacFarlane
>>

> I believe this will work if you follow the instructions to build a
> custom kernel, as in the eeepc:
>
> http://nighthack.org/wiki/EeeBSD
>
> However, this will not be the easiest task if you are not familiar
> with FreeBSD in general.

As Manolis says, step one would be to install FreeBSD and see if you
are confortable with it.  Then once you have it all running you will
want to use the link that Manolis sent that I found very interesting
but didn't work for the atheros that I have in my Acer amd64x2 so I
used a freebsd patch that works beautifully.  When you get to that
point, I or I'm sure other more qualified folks, will be glad to give
you a hand.

good luck,

ed