setting dev.acpi_ibm.0.events at boot time

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Apr 17 08:10:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:23:15 +1000
Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:

> From: Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net>
> To: Takashi Inoue <takash-i at sophia.ac.jp>
> Cc: freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: setting dev.acpi_ibm.0.events at boot time
> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:23:15 +1000
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:48:03 +0900
> Takashi Inoue <takash-i at sophia.ac.jp> wrote:
>
> > I have a similar probrem with 7.0R on X61s.
> >
> > "dev.acpi_ibm.0.lcd_brightness=4" in sysctl.conf
> > does NOT work with xorg(gdm).
> >
> > I think changing VT reset it.
>
> lcd_brightness has never worked for me and others. The event is detected and handled by devd, but the sysctl seems DOA.

hmm let me qualify this.

"on my thinkpad z60m", the sysctl itself doesn't seem to be doing anything.

But fn-Home and fn-End actually change the dimming of the lcd. It of course wont work with other software that try to affect the brightness of the LCD, i will give backlight a spin.

cheers,

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Law of Conservation of Perversity:
  we can't make something simpler without making something else more complex