Wireless on hp 6710b

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu Apr 10 05:35:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, besideinfo wrote:
 > --- Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
 >
 > > On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Benjamin Close wrote:
 > >  > besideinfo wrote:
 > >  > > --- Yousif Hassan <yousif at alumni.jmu.edu>
 > > wrote:
 > >  > >
 > >  > >
 > >  > >> I don't really understand what you mean here. Do
 > >  > >> you mean they do not show
 > >  > >> up in kldstat at all, or that they do show up in
 > >  > >> kldstat but are still
 > >  > >> "missing" in terms of being attached?  (Both
 > >  > >> scenarios possible).
 > >
 > > [..]
 > >
 > > To besideinfo:
 > >
 > > In which case you should use kldstat -v to show all
 > > in-kernel modules.
 > > This can be a big list, so perhaps best search for
 > > 'missing' ones with:
 > >
 > >  kldstat -v | egrep 'wpi|wlan'
 > >
 > > If they're there then there's no need to load them
 > > in /boot/loader.conf
 > >
 > > cheers, Ian
 > >

 > As you asked following the output  for kldstat -v |
 > egrep 'wpi|wlan'
 >
 > freebsd-box# kldstat -v | egrep 'wpi|wlan'
 >  5    5 0xc07c7000 1edf8    wlan.ko
 >                  4 wlan
 >  7    1 0xc07e8000 26414    wpifw.ko
 >                  5 wpifw_fw
 >  8    1 0xc080f000 1b10     wlan_xauth.ko
 >                  6 wlan_xauth
 >  9    1 0xc0811000 2d08     wlan_wep.ko
 >                  7 wlan_wep
 > 10    1 0xc0814000 6d04     wlan_ccmp.ko
 >                  8 wlan_ccmp
 > 11    1 0xc081b000 4000     wlan_tkip.ko
 >                  9 wlan_tkip
 >
 > I try to use kldload, and the result make me believe
 > that I'm missing the wpi driver or part  of it.
 >
 > freebsd-box# kldload if_wpi
 > kldload: can't load if_wpi: No such file or directory
 >
 > freebsd-box# kldload wlan_scan_sta
 > kldload: can't load wlan_scan_sta: No such file or
 > directory
 >
 > I'm thinking to reinstall freebsd maybe I did
 > something wrong from the beginning.

Hmm.  On re-reading the whole thread I notice that you didn't show what
Andrey asked about, and while I don't know if it should actually affect
the module loading, it's said that you need this in your loader.conf:

: Also make sure if license acknowledge variable is set (use kenv on
: this purpose):
: # kenv | grep 'wpi'
: legal.intel_wpi.license_ack="1"

Otherwise it does look like your 6.3 install is missing something.

cheers, Ian

(Sam, sorry if I complicated matters, but many new users don't know
about using 'kldstat -v' to check modules, in my humble experience)